ShareThis

Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Christchurch Earthquake Experience of 2010

"The glory of the LORD shall endure for ever: the LORD shall rejoice in his works. He looketh on the earth, and it trembleth: he toucheth the hills, and they smoke."
~Psalm 104:31-32 (KJV)

When I was about to go to sleep around 04:00-04:30 AM (New Zealand time), the magnitude 7.4 earthquake hit Christchurch, New Zealand (some reports says its magnitude 7.1). The epicenter was 40 kilometers west of the city, which is not bad, at least no tsunami to worry about. Although, the numerous aftershocks that followed (and they are still coming) were starting to get on my nerves. Every 5-10 minutes, they keep rattling the ground. Thank GOD not much damage to the house though and the city's electricity return about eight hours after the earthquake.

Ever since high school, as a geography student, I always have this tingling feeling that a huge earthquake is coming and it took six years for the quake to finally happened. Of course, I am not thrilled about it. I was almost finished cleaning up (throwing out some old school notes dating back to my high school days) and re-arranging my room to make it more habitable again but thanks to the earthquake, I'm pretty much back to square one. Anyway, there is no report of serious casualties, except a couple of injured Christchurch residents.
Earthquake's epicenter and surrounding areas. (Photo courtesy of Business Insider)

The Christchurch Earthquake was like my fourth "earthquake" experience. I remember when I was a kid in Barangay Upper Hinaplanon in Iligan City (Philippines) when my family was very much complete at that time. My five brothers and I were in the lounge watching TV and the clock suddenly banging the wall. Of course, the Christchurch quake was much bigger since the entire mountain range of the South Island (New Zealand) is pretty much a major fault line.

Funny how some of my friends posted in Facebook that their "first" earthquake experience were cool but I wonder what would they feel if they go buy their groceries right now and they get to see people fighting to buy food and supplies in shopping malls and dairy shops. I expect the city and university libraries, DVD and CD stores are in pretty mess at the moment. In addition, looters/thieves are everywhere.

Ski trips and snowboarding is not a good idea at the moment. I hope everyone is OK. Conserve food and water. Stay away from power lines and keep praying. Sometimes, a much "bigger" aftershock (bigger than the earthquake itself) will turn up and worse could happen than the one early in the morning today.

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore, will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah."
~Psalm 46:1-3 (KJV)

2 comments:

  1. Hello to you from the west island! I found your blog on the Librarything bloggers group. I hope you are okay after the quake . I have only been to Christchurch once about 15 years ago. It is hard to imagine what an earthquake must be like - a ride at a theme park x a hundred I'm thinking and you're not strapped in. I've had a quick scan through your other posts - I didn't know NZ had a basketball team called the Tall Blacks - you learn something every day ! T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm ok.. thanks for the concern... I'm very lucky to live in the suburban part of the city where's there's not much 2-story buildings around.. the earthquake was scary at the beginning and then the numerous aftershocks that followed were annoying..

    We could still feel some aftershocks once in a while..

    Hehehe.. yes they do have a team.. much of its improvement I'd say due to their exposure to the Australian NBL.. unfortunately, they were beaten by Russia this morning..

    Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.

Twitter

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.