ShareThis

Friday, January 14, 2011

Major Richard Winters: A Tribute

Richard Winters, 1918-2011
"That night, I thanked God for seeing me through that day of days and prayed I would make it through D plus 1. I also promised that if some way I could get home again, I would find a nice peaceful town and spend the rest of my life in peace." ~then First Lieutenant Richard Winters after the Day of Days 

Last January 02, 2011, Major Richard "Dick" Winters died at the age of 92 in his rural home in Pennsylvania. Major Winters was the Commanding Officer of the Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division during the Second World War. His military exploits were chronicled in the television mini-series, Band of Brothers (adopted from Stephen Ambrose's book of the same name) and was portrayed in the series by actor Damian Lewis.

One of his quotes that I always remember from the Band of Brothers series was what he told his interviewer:

 I treasure my remark to my grandson who asked, "Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" Grandpa said, "No... but I served in a company of heroes"

Check Out:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.

Twitter

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.