ShareThis

Monday, June 27, 2011

Proud to be Filipino?



I recently watched the video above and it’s about why we shouldn’t be proud to be a Pinoy. For me to be proud of something then you must have earned it first.

The Philippines have a very corrupt society with a bandwagon culture blinded by Western wannabeism. That is not something to be proud. The term “Proud to be a Filipino” or “Proud to be Pinoy” has been mistakenly over-used these days. Much like the term “democracy” or “people power” overused and abused in the Philippines. Whenever some Filipino individual achieved something or made a name internationally some idiot would instantly say, “I’m proud to be Pinoy!”

For instance, Manny Pacquiao whenever the pound-for-pound king beat or knockout his opponents in the boxing ring many will say “I’m proud to be Pinoy”. Proud to be Pinoy? What for? You’re not Manny Pacquiao... you’re just the audience. Manny Pacquiao bashed his opponents not because he’s a Filipino it’s because he’s a great boxer. He being a Filipino has nothing to do with it. Pacquiao, on the other hand, have every right to say he is proud to be a Filipino simply because he achieved something for his country. He earned it.

Then we have the Azkals’ bandwagon fans who think beating Japan is piece a cake. It’s a wonder how true Filipino football fans managed to tolerate the bandwagons’ ignorance to the beautiful game. Aside from distracting the players, news that pops out about the team idiots starts blurting out, “I’m proud to be Pinoy”. The Azkals players have every right to say, they’re proud to be a Filipino because they sacrifice their time for the sake of representing the country in international football but bandwagons fans did not earned it.

Now if I ask myself, am I proud to be a Filipino? I was born in the Philippines. In fact, ever since I left the country, I used the internet to follow the news and current affairs over there. I don’t even have anyone here in my adopted country to talk about the Philippine politics, economy, sports and the Philippines in general simply because Filipinos here either pre-occupied with their lives (understandable) or doesn’t care about their country anymore. I will always remember opening ceremonies of basketball and sports festivals when the Philippine national anthem was played majority of the people in those ceremonies just talking and joke around, not listening at all. Those were overseas Filipinos the very same people that the Philippine media is labelling “Bagong Bayani”. To go back to the question, am I proud to be a Filipino? The answer is NO. I haven’t earned it yet. I haven’t achieved anything for my country and therefore, I don’t have the right to say, “I’m proud to be Pinoy”.

Recommended Readings:

2 comments:

  1. you should share this blog to your fellow filipinos to understand the word "proud"..btw best quote Whenever some Filipino individual achieved something or made a name internationally some idiot(pinoy) would instantly say, “I’m proud to be Pinoy!” maraming pinoy nagmumukang langaw na pumatong lang sa kalabaw everytime they use proud to be pinoy..

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.

Twitter

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.